Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Cake

So today was the day to cut open the cake, everyone was excited to see what kind of cake it was. I wasn't about to tell. It was a surprise. Yum to Neapolitan cake. Everyone loved the cake and the fondant, and I hardly saw any go in the trash.
I also wanted to let everyone know the changes mom and I made to the recipe. Instead of using 2 Tbsp of water in the beginning we just used 3 Tbsp, we also added 1tsp of clear vanilla after heating and before pouring the marshmallows into the powdered sugar. Also only 1/4 Cup of shortening, use about half for greasing your hands and mix the other half into the melted marshmallow mixture. Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl and make a well in the middle. Pour in the marshmallow mixture, and grease hands. Fold the powdered sugar around the marshmallow mixture, it will still be messy. But you won't have the mess on your counter to clean up, you can do the whole process in a bowl.
Make sure after you have covered your cake and trimmed the bottom that you poke a few small vent holes with a needle or pin, or the sides of your cake will end up full of air and bowed like mine did. (sorry don't have a picture to prove my point.)
I'm sure learning a lot about cake decorating, I think I'm ready to try doing a cake all on my own now, guess we'll see.

2 comments:

Jer and Jules said...

So cute. I think when we hang out we should do cake stuff while the boys do .... boys/sports stuff.

Kimberlyn said...

You are too funny Jules, I actually need to decorate another birthday cake on Saturday if you'd like to come help.