Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm a Mystery

Sorry for my boring long post, and story. I need to get it all out of my head so I can relax.

Since my miscarriage back in December I've had a stomach ache basically every day. It finally got so annoying being sick every day that I went to the doctor Wednesday the 18th of February. He decided after spending maybe 5 minutes with me, and asking me hardly anything that he would test for Celiac Disease (My brother and one sister have celiac disease, and it's genetic supposedly). He also said that I should stop eating gluten until the results of the blood test came back. I came home and only stopped eating gluten for 2 days, since Chase was able to look at my test results and tell me I didn't have celiac disease. 
That Friday February 20 Chases mom came home from work and said that since I was on so many antibiotics after my miscarriage, that I may have wiped out all the good flora in my gut tract, and should try pro biotics. I'd never heard of such a thing. She insisted on taking me to the health food store and buying me some, so I agreed. If that was what was wrong I should be feeling better (whatever that is) in about a week. 
The nurse finally called on the 24th with my test results. All she said was that the results were normal and that they were referring me to a GI doctor. I couldn't understand why if my results were normal. The GI doctors nurse called to make an appointment for me to come in for a colonoscopy, which I politely turned down for now. I wasn't about to go to such great lengths when the doctor had only spent 5 minutes with me in the beginning. I decided the next day to call a new doctor, I was able to get an appointment for today March 4th. 
I went to the new doctor today, and he spent at least 30 minutes with me, he asked me tons of questions, and actually took notes. He seemed very concerned for me, and my health. Even better he actually listened to me and what I had to say. He said I was a "mystery" to him at this point, he didn't really know what to test for. He decided to do a few different tests, some through blood some through urine. An Ultrasound which I get to go do on Friday morning, and he put me on acid reflux medication for a few weeks. As soon as all the new tests come back he said he would let me know the results and meet with me again. If nothing is found from the tests we will go the GI doctor route. 
I sure hope we find something out soon, I'm sick of being sick. I want to feel normal again. Wish me luck, and the doctors the enlightenment to know what to do for me. 

7 comments:

Elisa said...

Oh, man. That's no fun. I hope that they can figure out what's going on soon. And I take it the pro biotics didn't help?

Betsy said...

Hey Kim,
Good luck with all of this. I know how frustrating it can be when the doctors who should know what's wrong with you dont! I just did the colonoscopy thing 2 weeks ago and I got a lot of answers! Keep us posted and please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!
Betsy

Kimberlyn said...

I think the pro biotics have worked a little, but not as much as my MIL thought they would.

Rachael said...

kim, good luck! That doesnt sound fun to be sick all the time! I hope the doctors get it figured out!

Leake's said...

Kim;
Good luck with the tests. It's not fun to not feel good. At least you have a doctor this time that is listening. So this is the first time that I have peeked into your blog, way to go on trying snowboarding. You rock!

Jer and Jules said...

I'm so sorry, but at least you found a new Dr. that seems to want to REALLY find out what's wrong. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it soon and get you all fixed up and back to normal. And hopefully it's nothing too serious! Good luck!

elaine said...

I feel your pain! I went through a whole battery of GI testing several years ago. All they could come up with was, "IBS". It's actually better now, but it can flare up with a vengeance out of nowhere. Pepcid helped me a little. The big thing for me was decreasing dairy as much as possible.

Good luck!